What to do if Your Dog Eats Chocolate

What to do if Your Dog Eats Chocolate

Dogs are incredibly curious creatures, and are able to sniff out potential tasty treats anywhere, even if those treats aren’t actually safe for dogs! Despite staying vigilant, sometimes your pooch can find and eat some chocolate before you have the chance to stop them. Rather than waste time wondering how they managed to get it, or bickering about whose fault it is, you need to act fast to prevent any potential damage to their health. 

Chocolate is highly toxic for dogs, when ingested it can cause severe health issues and in some cases, even death. It contains the chemical, theobromine, which dogs can’t process as quickly as humans can, as well as caffeine, both of which dogs struggle to digest. Theobromine levels vary depending on the strength of the chocolate, with a general rule of thumb being the darker the chocolate, the higher the amount of theobromine. As such, the amount and type of chocolate consumed is key in determining the potential damage it may do.

If your dog has ingested any amount of chocolate, it’s best to seek professional medical advice from your vet immediately. It’s important to take note of your dog's weight, as well as the type and amount of chocolate they’ve eaten. This will help the vet know how much theobromine your pooch has consumed and what amount of medication they’ll need to counteract it. If seen within two hours of eating the chocolate, your vet will most likely induce vomiting and give your dog active charcoal orally to reduce the absorption rate of the theobromine. If it’s been longer than two hours, it’s too late to induce vomiting and instead your dog will have to be treated intravenously with fluids and antiarrhythmic medication. 

Keep an eye out for these symptoms of chocolate poisoning which will usually show in about six to twelve hours after consumption, however as we’ve said previously, it’s best not to wait for symptoms to appear and instead seek immediate medical help:

  • Hyperactivity
  • A high heart rate
  • A high temperature
  • Vomiting 
  • Diarrhea 
  • Drinking more than usual
  • Twitching 
  • Seizures

Generally, if given medical treatment from a trained professional, dogs can make a full recovery, especially if seen before the chocolate has had time to be absorbed into their system. That’s why immediate action once you’ve realised they’ve eaten any amount of chocolate is so important, and extra caution is taken around keeping chocolate out of your dog’s reach. Accidents do happen, but there are steps like securing your bins and keeping chocolate stored high up which help reduce the risk of your dog finding it and tucking in! 

To keep them off the hunt for a sneaky snack, why not give your pooch one of our delicious dog treats to keep them busy? We've got our new range of Meaty Treats to try including our Meaty Beef Meatballs and Meaty Duck Jerky

Join our Pet Club for exclusive content and more

For more pet advice, why not become a member of our Pet Club today? You’ll be able to earn points, learn tips and tricks, access exclusive rewards and enjoy discounts on your favourite products! Our fantastic team includes pet lovers and nutritionists; we’ve even enlisted the expert help of Peter Wright, TV’s The Yorkshire Vet, so whatever you’re looking for, you'll find it there.