What foods are poisonous for dogs?

What foods are poisonous for dogs?

Although dogs may love to beg for your leftovers, it’s important to be aware of what foods are toxic to them so you avoid sharing something that may poison them. Here’s a list of foods that are dangerous and poisonous for dogs.

Dogs just love to get their chops around some tasty human food, and can be keen beggars. While sometimes it’s okay to share some of your leftovers with your pooch, it’s important to know which foods are dangerous and toxic for dogs to avoid accidentally poisoning them. 

Here are some common human foods that are in fact poisonous for dogs. 


This sweet treat contains the chemical theobromine, which dogs can’t process as quickly as humans can, as well as caffeine, both of which dogs struggle to digest. It’s important to take note of your dog's weight, as well as the type and amount of chocolate they’ve eaten as dark vs white contains differing amounts of these chemicals. This will help the vet know how much theobromine your pooch has consumed and what amount of medication they’ll need to counteract it.

Onions, garlic and chives

All members of the onion family, if eaten they can cause your dog to develop gastrointestinal irritation and red blood cell damage. No matter if they’re cooked or raw, avoid feeding any of them to your pooch. 


This artificial sweetening agent commonly found in our sugar-free and low-fat options can cause your dog's blood sugar to drop and can also lead to liver failure. Watch out for it in products like peanut butter. 


This salad staple contains a substance called Persin in its leaves, flesh and seed. If ingested by dogs it can cause vomiting and diarrhoea which can lead to dehydration.


Most commonly found in tea and coffee, it can make your dog very unwell. To perk them up try and give them a toy to play with, rather than a brew. 

Grapes and Raisins 

This sweet fruit can cause dogs to develop an upset stomach and even kidney failure or liver damage in some cases. 


This can impact dogs in the same way it can humans in terms of intoxication and liver damage, but it takes a lot less to do so in dogs. It can lead to dehydration through vomiting and diarrhoea, but in some cases may even damage their central nervous system.

Macadamia Nuts

Just a few of these crunchy nuts contain enough of a toxin which can affect your dog’s muscles and central nervous system, making them weak, swollen and shaky. 

Poppy seeds 

Commonly found in muffins and seeded bread loaves, these small seeds can have a big impact on your dog. Different poppy plants have various levels of opiates and alkaloids in them, which can impact their brain and central nervous system. Ingestion of any part of the plant, but especially the seeds, can result in sedation or an excited state of mind as well as seizures. 

Fruits that contain a stone eg peaches and plums

Their stones contain cyanide, which is highly poisonous to both humans and dogs, but we know not to eat them! They can also block their intestines, so should be avoided.

Signs your dog has eaten something poisonous

While some symptoms may differ depending on the type of food your dog has eaten, here are some of the key signs to look out for if you think your  pooch may have been ingested a toxic food:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Extreme salivation
  • Extreme thirst due to dehydration
  • Seizures
  • Heart problems
  • Panting
  • Agitation
  • Increased or decreased urination
  • Weakness or lethargy

Next steps

Try not to panic. Immediately make an appointment with your emergency vet and get them seen as soon as possible. Be sure you tell them what they have consumed if you know what it is, as it will help them provide the appropriate treatment quickly. 

To keep your dog satisfied with food you know is safe for them to eat, rather than your scraps, why not give them one of our delicious dog treats to keep them busy? From meaty Chicken Fillets to delicious Duck Jerky, you're sure to find a flavour they'll love!