Festive Foods to Avoid an Upset Dog
When it comes to the festive season, us Brits love nothing more than indulging in one too many mince pies. It can be tempting to share when your pooch is looking up at you with those puppy dog eyes, but we could be doing more harm than good by letting them have human treats. We’ve listed a few of the dangers that our pooches could encounter this Christmas, so that you can keep them in tip top condition.
1. Cooked bones from the Christmas turkey
The cooking process dehydrates the bones, so they become brittle and splinter easily. We all know that dogs love to snack on a bone or two, however, these brittle bones could puncture their stomach if ingested. Keep the turkey carcass clear of any surfaces they can reach.
2. Turkey skin and gravy
Gravy and turkey skin is delicious for us at this time of year, but the high fat content means that puppies find it hard to digest. If they eat a large quantity, you may end up with a trip to the vet and a puppy suffering from pancreatitis. Symptoms of this can include vomiting and diarrhoea, so always ensure you’re keeping these items clear of their food bowl.
Onions contain thiosulphate, which can lead to haemolytic anaemia. Symptoms include shortness of breath, vomiting and diarrhoea. If you do serve your dog any scraps from your plate, make sure there’s no onions mixed in with the meat.
5. Raisins and Christmas pudding
It is known that a chemical in grapes can lead to kidney failure in dogs, however did you know that raisins contain a higher dose of this chemical? It may be tempting to let them have a little bite of your Christmas pudding during the Queens speech, but your best bet is to keep a little bowl of their favourite Harringtons treats to the side for these moments.
Not only does the fat content make nuts difficult for dogs to digest, leading to pancreatitis, but their small size means that they’re often not chewed properly and can become a choking hazard. Make sure you keep these clear of any low surfaces that they might be able to reach or sniff around.
Chocolate is arguably the nations favourite food at Christmas time, however cocoa contains theobromine, which is toxic to both cats and dogs. The more concentrated the chocolate i.e. 70%+ the more harmful it is. Your best bet is to ensure that all chocolate is kept in a high cupboard where curious noses can’t sniff it out.
If you want to treat your pooch to their own Christmas dinner, why not serve them a bowl of our Harringtons Rich in Turkey and Veg? It’s super nutritious and won’t result in a trip to the vet. Don’t forget to share your Christmas snaps with us over on the Harringtons Facebook page. We love seeing your snaps at this time of year!